Monday, September 20, 2010

These last 2 weeks were very busy for me race wise. It was the first time I have ever done back to back 70.3’s so I did not know how I would respond. First off was Muskoka, it is my home town race so to speak, only being a 3 hour drive away from home. Everything leading in the race went perfect and I was ready for a big day. I felt great in the water and at the half way mark decided to take the lead to string things out a little before the bike. By the end of the swim there was a group of 3, myself, Paul Mathews and Craig Alexander. Paul hammered of the start of the bike and Craig and I were unable to go with him. I rode with Craig until the 65km mark where he started to pull away from me. I ended up 1 min down from him and Raynard Tysink (sp) who passed me late on the bike and 4 min down from Paul. I went really hard on the bike trying to stay with Craig and I payed for it on the run, I started cramping and had a hard time just getting to the finish line. I ended up 6th getting passed twice on the run. One spot out of the money which sucked but really not a bad race considering the quality of field.
My next race was in Syracuse NY. it was a last minute decision but I came out of Muskoka fairly well and since it was close thought it would be a good idea. I did recover well during the week and felt better and better. During the race I decided not to lead the swim and try to save some energy for the first part of the bike to give myself a better chance to stay with Paul who was doing the double as well. I tried as hard as I could with out overdoing it at the start of the bike but I just could not go with him and Andrew Yoder and settled into my pace for the rest of the 90km. Getting off the bike I was surprised that everyone was saying I was in 2nd, I thought I was 3rd but I guess Andrew pulled out somewhere on the bike, so that was a present surprise. I was running pretty well to start, I usually know within the first 5km whether it is going to be a good run. In Muskoka that's when I was starting to cramp but in Syracuse that is when I started to feel like I could start running faster. I was eventually passed at the 5 mile mark by one guy but was able to hold on the rest of the run and finish 3rd, my best finish in a 70.3 event.
Not sure what the race plan is now, there might be another race but I know a lot of time is going to be spent planning the rest of the winter for the Ironman Austria group.

All photos are courtesy of Don McCormick


Personal Best Health and Fitness's Fan Box